Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Distractions

I was having a conversation with a friend yesterday and the subject of bull&$@! came up. I'm not sure how but as I started to give the matter some thought, I started realizing that a lot of what we call our "civilization" is totally and completely full of the the substance that comes out of a bull's anus. And the more I started thinking about it, I came to the conclusion that we, especially Americans, are bombarded everyday all day with distractions.

Now, I'm going to attack that which has become the most popular as of late. I suppose it gained strength as our parents were growing up and eventually became something that went hand in hand with being alive. I'm talking about television, that good ole' boob tube. That which could be so useful but is downgraded to the nonsensical babysitter charged with keeping our children occupied. But it goes beyond that, the babysitter has become the best friend to those who have grown up with it. How many times have you heard someone say "You can call me whenever except this'o'clock because that's when Glee comes on and I can't miss my show.

But what are we doing with ourselves? What are we giving power to? The evening news where I live has a section for celebrity news, which often consists of how Lindsay Lohan (and I hate to type that name because I'm giving power to it) &%$@#! up this time today. Really? I mean really? And when they're not reporting on what color Christina Agulera's panties were, they're trying to scare the &*#@ out of you by telling you how many people were maimed or murdered on the day. Don't give power to it, choose love not fear...but that's another post.

I guess all I'm saying is make practice of putting away the distractions every once and a while, and know when and how you are being distracted. Take out the ipod on your way to work, be aware of your surroundings. Turn off that tv on the weekend or after work, find a book that would be just as entertaining, or learn something that you didn't know before (did you know you have four nostrils and more than five senses [I think it's like 23 or something, but look it up]) Let''s put these distractions away and maybe we will make ourselves open to doing something more constructive.

That being said, now I'm going to watch Family Guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment